Fiscardo crochet Square
You have probably seen Fiscardo crochet square as the main motif for my summer hats with wide brims of the same name. For this piece of accessory you will need 10 motifs which can be made from 2, 3, or more colours of your choice.
Fiscardo crochet motif can, of course, be used for other projects as well, such as bed covers, baby blankets, clothes, as an applique, detail, or simply anything you can think of.
level - beginner
For making this motif, you need to know basic crochet stitches and be familiar with round crochet. The stitches in this project are single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, chain.
- Leftover yarn for hook 2.5 – 5 mm (US 1.5–8)
- Hook 3.5 mm (US 4)
- Tapestry needle (optional)
The idea for this motif, and for the hat itself, was something I found on the net, but I adjusted the pattern, the procedure, and and the stitches to the size of the hat.
st(s) – stitch(es)
ch – chain
sl.st. – slip stitch
sc – single crochet
hdc – half double crochet
dc – double crochet
Begin by crocheting ch5 and close the circle.
Close the circle by working a slip stitch in the first stitch of the ch5.
1. Rnd – ch3, 15dc.
Close the circle with a sl.st. in the 1st st of ch3. Break yarn.
2. Rnd – Attach new colour yarn where you finished the previous rnd. Ch4, dc.
(ch1, dc)14x, sl.st. in the 3rd st of ch4. Break yarn.
3. Rnd – With new colour work only sc like this: attach yarn where you finished the previous rnd, 1sc in the 3rd st of the initial ch4 from rnd 2, 2sc in the arch of ch1, (1sc in dc of the previous rnd, 2sc in the arch)14x. Do not break yarn!
4. Rnd – [(1sc, ch3, skip 2sts)3x, 1sc in next st, ch7, skip 2sts, 1sc in next st] repeat 3x.
(1sc, ch3, skip 2sts)3x, 1sc in next st, ch4, 1dc in the st where the 1st sc was made.
4. rnd finished in the corner.
5. Rnd – (ch3, 4dc) in the first arch. [(5dc in next arch)2x, ch2, 5dc in the same arch]3x, (5dc in next arch)2x, ch2, sl.st. in the first dc of this rnd. Break yarn, weave in ends.
5. Rnd finished in the corner.
6. Rnd – With new colour work ch2, 1hdc, 1sc, 2hdc, [(1dc, 2hdc, 1sc, 2hdc)2x, (in the ch space: 2dc, ch2, 2dc = corner)]4x. Sl.st. in the next st.
6. Rnd finished.
7. Rnd – sc across all sts, in corners work 4sc. Sl.st. in the last st, cut off yarn, weave in ends.
Motifs A and B in 2 different orders of colours. Rounds 2, 6 and 7 are worked with the main colour, while other rounds are crocheted with the other 2, which alter each other.
Of course, you can play and experiment with your own colourwork designs.